Steps to Open a Family Child Care Business
What Is Family Child Care (FCC)/Group Family Child Care (GFCC) Provider?
A family child care (FCC)/group family child care (GFCC) provider is an independent child care business operator who is registered to provide child care services for children, aged 6 weeks to 12 years, in his/her home. A FCC/GFCC provider is also someone who understands the importance of providing quality early childhood education to all children, especially during the first three years of life.
How to Start a Family Child Care Program in the Home
Interested in starting a Family Child Care program in your home? The best way to begin is to attend a Family Child Care Information Session. In this free two hour class, information is provided on the re-quirements of the entire registration/licensing process, such as:
- 15-hour Health and Safety Training class
- Child abuse background check
- Avoiding common application mistakes
- Initial home safety inspection
“Orientation on How to Start a Family Child Care Business” workshops are available. For more information and to register, Please call Ms. Jessica Jian at 212-941-0030 ext. 161 or email@example.com
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Live in a home or apartment that is safe for children
- Must have two exits in the home
- Be in good character and in good physical and mental health
- You and anyone 18 or older that lives with you must be screened by the Statewide Central Register Clearance of Child Abuse and Maltreatment for any indicated report of child abuse and maltreatment
- Demonstrate basic competency in health and safety procedures
- Must have valid First Aid and CPR certificates
- Have a minimum of 2 years experience caring for children under 6 years of age (including raising your own kids) or 1 year experience caring for children under 6 years of age plus six hours of training or education in early childhood development
- You and anyone 18 or older that lives with you must be fingerprinted for criminal history check
- Fill out the Initial Family Day Care Application and submit the completed application to New York City Dept. of Health for review.
- Once Dept. of Health receives your application, a worker will be assigned to review your application and mail you the necessary correspondence.
- In the meantime, you can begin preparing your home for Family Day Care by applying for the Start-up Grant. Through the grant, prospective family day care provider can receive $500 in health and safety equipment to help their homes meet the safety requirements. You can contact the Chinese-American Planning Council (212) 941-0030 for a Start-up Grant Application.
- Applicant and his/her family members 18 years old or older must go to an authorized location to get fingerprinted.
- While your application is being reviewed at the Dept. of Health, a home safety inspector will be assigned to inspect your home to ensure safety standards.
- Take the 15 hours Health and Safety Training with a certified instructor. It is a competency based training which means you must successfully pass all the tests required of the training to receive a training completion certificate.
- Pass First Aid and CPR trainings and obtain valid certificates.
- Congratulations! Finally, Dept. of Health determines that you meet all health and safety regulations pertaining to family day care, you will be issued with a Family Day Care Registration Certificate.
- You are now ready to begin your business!
You may also visit Child Care Aware for further business information http://childcareaware.org/child-care-providers